DIY'ing your website?
With so many small businesses building their own websites on the likes of Rocketspark, Squarespace, WIX and other DIY website build software, it really helps to know the important things to look out for when building a website. Design, Content & SEO are the three main things that make up a website. See our notes below for some things you will want to think about when DIY'ing your own website build.
Design (everything that makes it beautiful)
- Check the software you are going to build in has a template that will provide you with what you want! Not all the DIY website software provides the same value
- Make sure your website stands out and is a little different, people get bored of seeing the same things: the same templates being used in the same ways.
- If you do not already have a colour palette for your business, choose one and use it throughout the site.
- Think about the user experience? Is the site easy to navigate, easy to purchase from? Before you make the site 'LIVE' run through some tests sales - get your friends or family to do some test sales and see if they had to ask you any questions or whether they could complete a sale without your help!
- Make sure it is mobile friendly! Most stats show that over 50% of eCommerce sales are completed on mobiles!
- Put up good quality product photos - if you are selling clothes show the back, front and sides of someone wearing those clothes. Your buyer needs to be able to envision using the products.
Content (the words on your site)
- Online content should not just be written for the end user but also for google, google does not read like a human.
- Too MANY words! It is true you can have too much on a website. Simple is best. Sometimes it's hard to get all the information you want without all the BLAH BLAH BLAH - this is why good content is so important, and believe it or not but it is often the last thing people think about or want to spend money on when it comes to a website build.
- Does it tell a story? What makes your business different from all the rest? Your WHY needs to be clear.
- Put up good product descriptions if you are selling online. So, your buyer can easily search and find what they are looking for.
- CALLS TO ACTION are very important, do not leave your users floundering around your website, what do you want them to do? Take them on a journey.
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation)
- Does the DIY software you are going to use provide you with the ability to be able to update your SEO and make it relevant?
- Connect the website with Google Analytics so that you get data from your website - who is visiting your site, which pages do they visit, how long are they on those pages? Google offers endless ways to look at and filter data.
- Check in google which of your keywords are well searched and decide what to focus on - this is part of your content, so they really sit side by side.
- Add Alt text on your photos - people often use google to do image searches. You can be found with your images using the right words.
- Make sure you have a Google my Business listing for your business - these are free to set-up and easy to do. Literally just google it!
Varntige are a Virtual Assistant firm based in New Zealand that specialise in building websites on the Rocketspark platform. If you have questions about DIY'ing your own website build or want Varntige to build your website get in touch with them: email@example.com or 07 870 1669